The program can be started in the winter semester as well as in the summer semester.
The language of instruction is English.
The curriculum for the MSc Physics (PDF, 97 KB) comprises 4 semesters. In the 1st and 2nd semesters, students take compulsory courses in advanced physics and elective courses from the various research areas of the faculty.
The one-year Master's project (practical phases I+II and Master's thesis) takes place in the 3rd and 4th semester.
Compulsory courses (24 ECTS points)
- Advanced particle physics (summer semester) or advanced solid state physics (winter semester), each 9 ECTS credits
- Advanced statistical physics (summer term) or advanced quantum mechanics (winter term), each 9 ECTS credits
- Seminar (3 ECTS points)
- Key qualifications (3 ECTS credits)
Elective courses (36 ECTS credits)
The elective courses include courses from all research areas of the faculty. Please note:
- Lab courses can be brought in to the extent of a maximum of 12 ECTS.
- One seminar is mandatory (see above). Additional seminars can be included up to a total of 12 ECTS credits in the elective courses.
- If more than two of the above-mentioned compulsory lectures are taken, the additionally taken compulsory lectures can be included in the elective courses.
The following specializations are possible within the elective courses.
You can find the current courses in the LSF course catalogue.
- Lecture website: Information and materials about current courses at the Faculty of Physics
- Moodle Courses of the Faculty of Physics
- Laboratory courses
- Courses in computing
- Experimental lecture preparation with numerous videos on physics experiments of the basic lectures.
- Final theses: Information on how to find supervisor and topic for your master thesis
Information on the subject, on careers and fields of activity for graduates, study requirements and on admission and enrolment can be found on the LMU's central websites (only available in German).
- Examination and study regulations (only available in German):
- Modul descriptions (only available in German)
If you have any questions, please contact the Program Counseling Service.
Applicants: Please note the information on our page Applying to a Master's program at the Faculty of Physics.