The program can be started in the winter semester as well as in the summer semester.
The language of instruction is English.
The curriculum of the Master Astrophysics (PDF, 88 KB) (PDF, 204 KB) covers 4 semesters. In the 1st and 2nd semesters, students attend advanced courses in astrophysics and physics and choose a field of specialization.
In the 3rd and 4th semesters – accompanied by colloquia, tutorials and seminars – the Master's thesis is written. The Master's thesis must be registered with the examination office and submitted there 26 weeks after registration (details can be found under the following link (PDF, 108 KB); please clarify further questions with the program counseling service).
A detailed overview of the structure of the degree program can be found on the astrophysics pages.
The study programme can focus on both observational and theoretical aspects.
You can find the current courses in the LSF course catalogue.
- Current courses in astrophysics
- Lecture website: Information and materials about current courses at the Faculty of Physics
- Moodle courses of the Faculty of Physics
- Courses in computing
- Final theses: Information on how to find supervisor and topic for your master thesis
Information on the subject, on careers and fields of activity for graduates, study requirements and on admission and enrolment can be found on the LMU's central websites (only available in German).
- Examination and study regulations (only available in German):
- Prüfungs- und Studienordnung der LMU München für den Masterstudiengang Astrophysik vom 30. September 2009
- Satzung zur Änderung der Prüfungs- und Studienordnung der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München für den Masterstudiengang Astrophysik vom 7. Oktober 2010
- Zweite Satzung zur Änderung der Prüfungs- und Studienordnung der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München für den Masterstudiengang Astrophysik vom 13. August 2014
- Modul descriptions (only available in German)
f you have any questions, please contact the Program Counseling Service.
Applicants: Please note the information on our page Applying to a Master's program at the Faculty of Physics.